This applies to:
Available with the following QorusDocs Editions:
User Roles in QorusDocs determine the features a user is able to view and access. Users are only presented with menu items, buttons and features that their User Role allows them to access.
For example, users belonging to the QorusDocs Admin User Role have the ability to manage and configure your QorusDocs, while Standard users do not have access to the features that would allow them to do that – nor can they see the ‘Manage’ menu in the QorusDocs UI.
Each user always belongs to one User Role. A User Role is assigned to them when they are first granted access to QorusDocs, and Admin users have the ability to manage User Role changes at any time.
In this article, we’ll cover:
- The four User Roles
- The User Roles available in each QorusDocs edition
- How to override the default User Role permissions
1. The Four User Roles
Each user accessing your QorusDocs belongs to one of the following four User Roles: Admin, Designer, Standard, and Guest.
The Admin User Role
If you’ve signed up for a QorusDocs Hub, you are automatically assigned to the Admin User Role.
The Admin User Role carries the highest level of permissions and has access to all QorusDocs features, across all of QorusDocs. There are no limits to the number of Admin users you can have.
In cases where there is more than one Admin user in your QorusDocs Content Hub, you can choose who you'd like to make the 'Primary Admin'. The 'Primary Admin' receives join requests and notices about upcoming subscription renewals.
Users belonging to the Admin User Role take up a paid license.
The Designer User Role
This is almost the same as the Standard role, but with a few additional privileges. Designer users can do all of the following:
- Use the advanced design features in the QorusDocs Add-ins for Word and PowerPoint to automate templates
- Create Smart Fields in QorusDocs Online, for use in templates and Pursuits
- Review and manage Auto Answer suggestions and train the Auto Answer AI
Usually, users belonging to the Designer role are content managers or power users who create and manage smart content and templates used by the rest of the organization.
Please note that the Designer User Role is only available for customers on the Premium or Enterprise edition. Users belonging to the Designer User Role take up a paid license.
The Standard User Role
The Standard User Role has access to all the features available within the QorusDocs Add-ins, with the exception of the 'Design' panel in the Word and PowerPoint add-ins.
Users belonging to the Standard User Role take up a paid license.
The Guest User Role
Guest users have very limited access to your QorusDocs, and can only do the following:
- Install and use the QorusDocs Add-ins
- Access the Home panel features in Hub Central and in the Add-ins
- Access the Search panel features in Hub Central and in the Add-ins
- Search and use OneDrive for Business content ONLY in Hub Central and in the Add-ins
- Collaborate with you and work on assignments allocated to them (Important: Guest users can only have up to five concurrent active assignments at a time, across all documents, and across all of QorusDocs)
Guest users don't get added to your QorusDocs Content Hub in the same way as you would add Admin, Standard or Designer role users in Hub Central.
Instead, Guest users are added to QorusDocs automatically whenever a licensed user on your hub creates an assignment for a coworker who does not have a QorusDocs license.
You can learn more about creating assignments here.
After you've created their first assignment, the Guest user will receive a Welcome email from QorusDocs, inviting them to get started by installing the Office Add-ins – which they will need in order to view and action their assignments.
In your QorusDocs Hub Central, they will show up under Settings > User Management in as Guests users, along with your other users with paid User Roles (Standard, Designer, and Admin).
From there, you can manage them like you would any other licensed user - including disabling their access, if needed, or upgrading them to a paid license role.
Users belonging to the Guest User Role do not take up a paid license.
2. The User Roles available in each QorusDocs edition
The roles that you see in your QorusDocs instance will depend on the QorusDocs Edition you’re subscribed to:
- Premium and Enterprise editions: All four of the above User Roles are available.
- Free: The Admin and Standard roles are available. The Designer User Role is not available since Free customers don't have access to advanced design features. There's also no concept of a free Guest because, well, all users are already free on the Free plan.
3. How to override the default User Role permissions
You should also know that it's possible to override the default permission levels for the Admin, Standard and Designer roles. You can find the permission override settings in Hub Central here: