Refresh is a powerful feature, available in the Qorus Document Builder Add-in, that helps teams keep the content within documents in sync and up to date with the re-usable content stored in OneDrive for Business and/or SharePoint Online.
It works by keeping track of the content you insert into documents as 'refreshable content', as well as any content you clip and save from documents to the cloud, and then compares the version of the content as it exists in the document (referred to as the 'document content'), with the corresponding content version in the cloud (referred to as the 'source content').
- If someone makes a change to the source version in the cloud, then you can refresh and update the inserted or clipped content in the document
- If you make a change to inserted or clipped content in the document, then you can refresh and update the source version stored in the cloud.
In this article, we'll explain how to:
- View a list of inserted and clipped content within a document
- Refresh a document with changes made to the source content in the cloud
- Refresh the re-usable source content stored in the cloud, with changes made in the document
1. VIEW A LIST OF INSERTED AND CLIPPED CONTENT WITHIN A DOCUMENT
Click on the 'Refresh' tab in the top nav of the Qorus Document Builder Add-in.
Next, you'll see a list of all the refreshable content that's been inserted into the document, as well as the content that has been clipped from the document and saved as new re-usable documents in the cloud.
If any of that content has been updated in SharePoint Online or OneDrive for Business, you'll see the following icons appear on the right of the file title:
Clicking on a file name will reveal information about the inserted or clipped content versions.
In the example below, we can see that the version of the 'Blue - Executive Summary' that was inserted into this document from SharePoint Online dates back to May 24th 2016. This is the 'Document Version'.
Since then however, this model executive summary has been updated. In fact it was last updated on April 24th 2017. This is the 'Source Version'.
2. REFRESH A DOCUMENT WITH CHANGES MADE TO THE SOURCE CONTENT IN THE CLOUD
To update the document with the latest source version, all you need to do is click on the 'Refresh content' button.
Alternatively, it's possible to click on 'Refresh All' to have the whole document refreshed with the latest cloud versions.
After clicking on either one of these options, click 'Ok' to confirm that you would like to refresh and update the document:
TIP: If you're in doubt as to whether you should update your document or not, you can always preview the source content by clicking on the info button (screenshot below) or click on the file name (exactly as you would from the search) to open and view the source version.
3. REFRESH THE RE-USABLE SOURCE CONTENT STORED IN THE CLOUD, WITH CHANGES MADE IN THE DOCUMENT
It's also possible to edit clipped content, and inserted refreshable content, while you work in Word - and then update and refresh the corresponding source version with your changes. This is particularly useful if you've spotted a typo in content you've already inserted!
All you'll need to do is edit the relevant part of the document, and then click on the 'Refresh source content' button:
There are a few important points to note about using the Refresh:
- Qorus Admins have the ability to turn the 'Refresh' feature on or off by user role, so if you're unable to use the Refresh, please check with your Qorus Admin that the feature is enabled for you.
- Permissions set in the cloud continue to apply. This means that if you don't have edit rights on a piece of re-usable content in SharePoint Online, you won't be able to refresh source content with changes made in the document.
- Finalizing a document cleans up all the content controls the Refresh relies upon in order to work. So if you've finalized a document, you won't be able to refresh any of the content inserted prior to finalizing the document.
- Only content that has been specifically inserted using the 'insert refreshable content' option can be refreshed.