This applies to:
Available with the following QorusDocs Editions:
You might want to occasionally delete Smart Fields that were created by mistake or as part of a training exercise. Or you might simply want to do some spring cleaning and tidy up the list of Smart Fields in your QorusDocs hub.
Before you do, you should know that deleting Smart Fields is a destructive action that cannot be undone. You should also know that:
- Deleting a Smart Field from your QorusDocs Hub will not delete the Smart Field from any templates and content where that Smart Field is currently being used.
- If the Smart Field you want to delete is associated with a Pursuit Type, you’ll have to first remove it from the Pursuit Type before you can delete it. You can learn how to do that here.
- Your existing Pursuits will still work.
- Users accessing existing Pursuits will however see a message stating “The Smart Fields of the pursuit type, linked to this pursuit, have been changed since this pursuit was last updated.”
- To get rid of this notification, you can click on ‘Edit’ in the Pursuit’s Smart Fields tab and then on ‘Save’. No further changes are necessary. The Smart Fields will automatically update and the message, as well as the data in the deleted Smart Field, will be gone.
Before you can delete any Smart Fields, you'll first need to:
- belong to either the QorusDocs Admin or Designer roles
- In this article, learn how to:
1. Remove a Smart Field from a document or presentation
As probably know, Smart Fields works with delimiters. These are characters that indicate the start and end of a Smart Field, and you have the ability to configure what those characters should be for your QorusDocs hub.
For example, if in our QorusDocs Hub, the characters “<” and “>” are configured as delimiters, then in a template that contains the following text “<Sales Account Manager Name>”, the Smart Field is “Sales Account Manager Name”.
To remove this Smart Field from the template, all we need to do is either delete the text “Sales Account Manager Name” or simply delete the “<” and “>” delimiters. If there are no delimiters around the text in the document or presentation, then the text is not recognized as a Smart Field.
When you click on ‘Refresh’, you’ll see the Smart Field will no longer form part of the list of Smart Fields in the document:
If you want to remove the Smart Field from your QorusDocs Hub so as to prevent it from being used in future documents, presentations, and templates, then continue to the next step below.
2. Deleting a Smart Field with the QorusDocs Add-in
To delete a Smart Field right from your Add-in, go to the list of Smart Fields that are ‘In the Hub’, and then click on the gear icon next to the Smart Field you’d like to delete.
In the pop-up window that appears on your screen next, click on ‘delete Field’.
QorusDocs will ask you to confirm if you wish to proceed with the deletion. You can click ok:
If you do a quick search in the Add-In, you will notice that the Smart Field has been removed from the list of Smart Fields in the document as well as in the Hub.
And the same applies on the Hub Central side.
3. Deleting a Smart Field from Hub Central
The Smart Field can also be deleted permanently from Hub Central. Simply search for the Smart Field you wish to delete using the Search tool, and then then click on the Smart Field name:
In the window that pops up next, you can click on the ‘delete’ button on the bottom left:
Then confirm that you want to delete the field:
A quick search and you will see the Smart Field is longer available:
4. Delete Smart Fields that are associated with a Pursuit Type
If you try to delete a Smart Field that is used with a Pursuit Type, you’ll get the following error:
To fix this, you’ll need to remove the field from the Pursuit Type. In Hub Central, go to Manage > Pursuit Types. Then click on the gear icon and ‘edit’:
Click on the small ‘x’ (any of which you need to remove) on the right of the Smart Field:
Next, confirm that you want to remove the Smart Field and then click on ‘Save’.